Here at the Desert Park we tell the stories of the desert that will help you to appreciate and enjoy this beautiful landscape while you are travelling through it!
Our habitats are a snapshot of what you are going to see on your trip and a visit to the Desert Park will give you a wonderful background to what you will see on your journey.
The desert is vibrant and alive and here at the park we are going to show you just how true this is.
No two days at the Alice Springs Desert Park are ever the same. As the season change, different plants dominate and different animals become active. There are so many stories to tell. On a typical day you can expect to:
- learn how Aboriginal people find food or medicines in the desert and how to identify some of the important plants and animals they use
- discover clever adaptations of plants and animals which allow them to live in a dry environment
- see endangered desert mammals and learn what is being done to save them
- stroll along a dry river bed and find out why the river red gums which line it are so important to animals
- learn how to identify desert birds and how they fit into the web-of-life
- catch a glimpse of the Centre’s history back through four and a half billion years.